!!insidediv!!Terry Nation's survivors 1975 - 2023

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/1/2017 7:27 pm  #11

Re: Did Terry Nation know where things were heading?

SARS , MERS, SwineFlu..........
Being careful is not enough. With SARS, the 14 hour fight from China to Canada , that plane was à incubator for the disease. For hours, just one person with a fever and cough, can infect an entire fight. 14 hours of an infected cough, sealed environment,  recirclated air. It can spread to passengers, crew, pilots. Then the get off the plane and passengers  go everywhere.
Person gets on an elevator, train, bus, a cough.  Closed environment.
Office worker, coughs, tight sealed building, recirclated air, it will bounce around.

Two Toronto hospitals were quarentined. Closing this hospital --loss of beds -->new patients go elsewhere.
Healthcare staff/workers get sick too. If they work at another facility, it must be checked.
Their school age children , spouses, transportation --buses& trains.
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/05/24/sars.wrap/

Please remember the movie "Outbreak" , Dustin Hoffman looks up to the ceiling --it was spread through the ventilation system.
The superbugs are here.

Last edited by Lorraine (24/1/2017 7:39 pm)

24/1/2017 7:48 pm  #12

Pox by Richard Reining. This novel talks about how vulnerable we are.

"Many Americans believe that the threat of a biological terrorist attack is genuine, and Pox describes a disturbingly real possibility. In Pox, the reader witnesses the destructiveness of self-righteous, intolerant fanatics who devise a grim plan to wreak pain and havoc on America. Pox offers an intense look at how contradictory ideologies and philosophies realistically play out, and causes us to realize our vulnerabilities."

In Survivors, world-wide travel  accelerated the spread of infection.

There have been measles and mumps cluster outbreaks in NYC. Before I could return to college, I had to get vaccinations for rubella,  measles and mumps.

Terry Nation kept it simple but it was an eyeopener.

Last edited by Lorraine (24/1/2017 7:49 pm)

24/1/2017 8:08 pm  #13

Richard Clark wrote:

I remember at the outbreak of the Swine Flu, one of my colleagues came back from a holiday in Mexico, he felt ill, and what did he do? He returned to work of course. It was only after a number of people told him to see the doctor that he went, and was immediately quarantined. It turned out that it wasn't Swine Flu and he returned to work the next day. 
Problem is nowadays, with all of the people who use their sick leave dishonestly, the return-to-work interviews, and the Bradford Factor in place at so many workplaces, a Survivor's type plaque would spread far faster than it would have done in the twentieth century, when a lot more people were honest about illnesses, and managers were more likely to send people home!

There was plenty of "Sicky pulling" when I used to be at work - thankfully I'm now retired. But one of my old workmates tells me it still goes on.
Perhaps Theresa May, will give Trump a dose of London Flu when she visits him this Friday!.
Apparently, London is very smoggy at the moment - it's just foggy here in Suffolk. 

25/1/2017 9:29 am  #14

It's a lot worse nowadays. If you stay on a caravan site near the sea during the summer in term time and it rains, the site will be empty, but the moment the sun comes out the place is packed, Either some people can obtain leave at very short notice, and get their kids out of school quickly, or it must be a case of the whole family is down with a bug! We have the country's unpredictable weather to thank for that, which appears to have become worse over the past few decades. 
The last place I worked we were writing software that was to be used to monitor absence at the workplace to try and determine who was being honest and who wasn't, but it wasn't easy. Many firms used the Bradford Factor, but I always felt this didn't tell you a thing, At the end of the day it's down to management to determine who is being honest. 
Unfortunately the backlash of this is that people are coming into work when they are clearly unfit to work, as they are afraid of what will happen if they don't.  

29/1/2017 3:49 am  #15

Flu season is here. In USA, flu epidemic in 37 states. Not good.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2017/01/cdc-flu-now-widespread-37-states

Winter is just starting. Cold weather is here. Feb/March more snow.

Antibiotic resistant organisms.
Flu is from a virus and in spite of pushing vaccination , 37 states have high rates !!

29/1/2017 10:02 am  #16

Lorraine wrote:

Flu season is here. In USA, flu epidemic in 37 states. Not good.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2017/01/cdc-flu-now-widespread-37-states

Winter is just starting. Cold weather is here. Feb/March more snow.

Antibiotic resistant organisms.
Flu is from a virus and in spite of pushing vaccination , 37 states have high rates !!

I tend to avoid the Flu jab - I think it's sometimes better to let nature take it's course - though if I suffered badly from other lung problems, it might be another story. I believe a heavy cold, acts as natures "oil change" as you would do with a car - you get rid of a lot of body fluids, that's the Yuk going & in the spring, you are ready to face another year of work, fun or Trump - in certain people's cases....

29/1/2017 1:39 pm  #17

bobmeades wrote:

In the UK Lorraine, our NHS is overloaded ATM - I & my GF have both been ill with either a bad cold or flu - full of snot & lost voices - cough cough.
Thankfully we are getting better now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-38788086?ref=yfp
7 hospital wards closed because of flu outbreaks .

Flu epidemics in 37 (USA) states

08/2/2017 6:50 pm  #18

Terry Nation had a idea. Survivors , no aliens. No monsters. Something small  that has devastating effects.

Last edited by Lorraine (08/2/2017 7:18 pm)

08/2/2017 7:15 pm  #19

Well, we have global warming,climate change and the flu .
Today in NYC, 62 degrees (17 °C) . Tomorrow,  a lot of snow.
Did Terry Nation have a crystal ball? In the novel, he wrote about a sick passenger.
The Stewardess tends to him. Passenger dies in isolation ward. Stewardess called in sick and so it begins.
Today 
USA, flu in 40 states.
United Kingdom --Cambridge University  Hosp closes wards.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/28/hospital-closes-two-wards-after-flu-outbreak

Canada has h1n3.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/01/03/the-tip-of-the-iceberg-one-death-confirmed-as-flu-season-hits-ottawa-in-full-force

Unofficial flu season - September to Easter.

Last edited by Lorraine (08/2/2017 7:19 pm)

17/2/2017 3:50 pm  #20

bobmeades wrote:

What may be of more concern, is the warming of the north pole - just below freezing I understand.

What ! Climate change ! Global warming!   
Feb.8th --62 degree F.  ..Feb 9th --lots of snow.

The Oroville dam has burst ---
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4226368/Cracks-offer-clues-California-dams-troubles.html
Now , because of water being released to ease the overflow, parts of it have collapsed.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-live-powerful-storms-moving-l-area-20170216-htmlstory.html
Los Angeles, Ventura and other California cities evacuating today (Feb. 17th)  because  ----->>
"The strongest storm to hit Southern California in several years is expected to bring torrential rain, flash flooding and powerful winds Friday.

A flash flood watch has been issued for Santa Barbara, Ventura and Los Angeles counties from Friday morning through Saturday morning.

First California had drought, now flooding.

"Climate changing is a hoax"  so we've been told.

Board footera