!!insidediv!!Terry Nation's survivors 1975 - 2023

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/11/2016 6:36 am  #1

What I am watching

Aftermath. everything, plague, asteroids, shape sifters
Van Helsing unfortunately its got zombies
The last ship. All good

19/12/2016 4:32 pm  #2

Re: What I am watching

I enjoyed Jeremiah with Malcolm Jamal Warner and Luke Perry. Incredible writing . I am also glad , they wrapped up all the loose ends. No cliffhangers but room for a sequel if they wanted one.

Jericho was an amazing show.  After it ended , I got the comicbooks/graphic novels to complete the series
Another well written tv series with a scary but believable storyline. The books were great and their pictures too. No supernatural magic and no zombies.

Aftermath is interesting.

.There's a series I am watching again "Prey" with Debra Messing. It's believable when consider genetically modified DNA ;;XXXY chromosomes and antisocial behavior ;; targeted populations.

The Last Ship is good . Epidemics, politics and more. I am looking forward to the next season.

Read a great post-apocalyptic novel "Gone to Ground" by Cheryl Taylor. Waiting for the next book. Great cliffhanger.
Just saw "On the Beach" , there are two versions of this movie. I prefer the original. The book is good too.

Last edited by Lorraine (19/12/2016 4:45 pm)

19/12/2016 8:06 pm  #3

After Armageddon is a two hour version of Survivors. This movie also has commentaries from social scientists,  epidemiologists, medical professionals and religion . Each segment has an explanation about what is happening and why.  It can be seen on youtube
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Armageddon

Last edited by Lorraine (19/12/2016 8:07 pm)

20/12/2016 3:03 am  #4

Lorraine
Thanks for the heads up about Prey will give it a watch. Have read "Gone to Ground" it was enjoyable.
You reminded me of After Armageddon which I watched a previously. But will watch again. 

13/2/2017 12:41 am  #5

Teela wrote:

Lorraine
Thanks for the heads up about Prey will give it a watch. Have read "Gone to Ground" it was enjoyable.
You reminded me of After Armageddon which I watched a previously. But will watch again. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prey_(TV_series) This was an interesting series. Left us with a cliffhanger.

13/2/2017 1:06 am  #6

Lots of books without tv series. No zombies. No supernatural things . No out of space aliens.

Gone to Ground by Cheryl Taylor.
Jakarta Pandemic by Steven Konkoly --the first of a series of books about a health crisis.
Infection: a pandemic survival novel by M P McDonald
H 10 N 1 by M R Cornelius  and Marsha Cornelius
Sick by Brett Battles (a series)
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank ( not the flu)
One Second After and One Year Later -- William Forstchen  (not the flu)
Cyberstorm By Matthew Mother
On the Beach by Nevil Shute

Post apocalyptic and no zombies.  Not supernatural like The Stand.

13/2/2017 8:18 am  #7

Lorraine wrote:

Lots of books without tv series. No zombies. No supernatural things . No out of space aliens.

Gone to Ground by Cheryl Taylor.
Jakarta Pandemic by Steven Konkoly --the first of a series of books about a health crisis.
Infection: a pandemic survival novel by M P McDonald
H 10 N 1 by M R Cornelius and Marsha Cornelius
Sick by Brett Battles (a series)
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank ( not the flu)
One Second After and One Year Later -- William Forstchen (not the flu)
Cyberstorm By Matthew Mother
On the Beach by Nevil Shute

Post apocalyptic and no zombies. Not supernatural like The Stand.

Never forget: Earth Abides, George R Stewart - I'm certain Terry Nation read this 1950 book & borrowed parts of it for the TV series.
Same goes for Day of the Triffids.
I've been trying to remember the title of the story set in a Monistery - the Monks after a big bang tale???

Last edited by bobmeades (13/2/2017 8:26 am)

10/11/2017 12:02 pm  #8

I've just received this to read on my holidays at Christmas, I'll report back here but sounds promising even though supposedly aimed at children.

Empty World by John Christopher

Review from goodreads

John Christopher – Empty World: When a deadly virus kills off most of the world's population, including all adults, Neil, a teenaged boy, tries to survive in a seemingly empty England. Although devastated by the loss of his elders he must force himself to accept his difficult (even terrifying) situation and learn to survive by himself. Scavenging canned and preserved food and other necessities from empty homes and businesses provides most necessities. Loneliness becomes a difficult thing to deal with, but he learns to avoid most other people because they are likely to be dangerous. Eventually, he makes his way to London, where necessities and desired items abound for the scavenger. However, the London environment also includes many more dangerous characters to avoid. I found Neal to be a very interesting, resourceful, and admirable character. This is another engaging science fiction novel from John Christopher and I enjoyed it.

Last edited by Malcolm Edeson (10/11/2017 12:02 pm)

08/12/2017 4:27 pm  #9

Jeremiah,  the tv series was based on a series of comicbooks.
A flu vaccine, kills off almost everyone over the age of puberty.  The stories starts 15 years after the Big Death.
Brilliantly written by J. Michael  Straczynski.
I enjoyed the strong women in the series. Kim Hawthorne  was great.
Check it out on dvd or hulu.
Unlike Survivors,  some had access to technology.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_(TV_series)

08/12/2017 4:33 pm  #10

Young people die on their 22nd birthday. All the adults die.
Their city is quarantined.  No one is allowed to leave.
Government plot.
How is this happening?
Unfortunately, series ends with a cliffhanger .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_(TV_series)  netflix

Last edited by Lorraine (08/12/2017 10:33 pm)

Board footera