!!insidediv!!Terry Nation's survivors 1975 - 2023

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/7/2017 5:14 pm  #1

Season 6 from Big finish

Just released - I have yet to listen to them, but thoughts every one who has purchased them.

https://scifibulletin.com/uk-tv/survivors-review-big-finish-audio-series-6/
Bob

Last edited by bobmeades (09/7/2017 5:18 pm)

10/7/2017 10:43 pm  #2

Re: Season 6 from Big finish

Bob
I have purchased them but not listened to them. I have a love hate relationship with the audio survivors. I love that survivors have been brought back to life , but   hate the conflict, yelling and lack of character. Sometimes it seems that that could be any group of characters thrown together for a story. I miss that lack of discussion remember your favorite episode or scene. Abby "Please don't let me be the only one" Barney accused of murder or the death of Paul. These are all character driven. Does it always have to be extreme ,can't it just be the weather flooding the stores, not flooding a basement with a tiger outside the door after been trapped by a homicidal manic.

Last edited by Teela (10/7/2017 10:44 pm)

11/7/2017 6:49 am  #3

Teela wrote:

Bob
I have purchased them but not listened to them. I have a love hate relationship with the audio survivors. I love that survivors have been brought back to life , but   hate the conflict, yelling and lack of character. Sometimes it seems that that could be any group of characters thrown together for a story. I miss that lack of discussion remember your favorite episode or scene. Abby "Please don't let me be the only one" Barney accused of murder or the death of Paul. These are all character driven. Does it always have to be extreme ,can't it just be the weather flooding the stores, not flooding a basement with a tiger outside the door after been trapped by a homicidal manic.

I agree - it is good, to see the Series perpetuated, but I wish they had continued the story from the "POWER" TV episode, rather than filling in the gaps of the existing stories. And some of the stories have been pretty ridicules - with a high body count as ever.
Pandering to the modern audience? 
Perhaps taking creation of the series beyond power, is beyond modern writers? Or is it a copyright issue?
It is a shame Big finish closed the forum attached to their website, that is one reason I opened this one.

24/7/2017 4:57 am  #4

Bob
I may have to eat my words. Have just listened to the first story Beating the Bounds. It was Abbey it was definitely set in the 1970's and there was no screaming or yelling. It was paced nicely and was not extreme in any way. Am encouraged to listen to the rest.

28/7/2017 7:16 pm  #5

Teela wrote:

Bob
I may have to eat my words. Have just listened to the first story Beating the Bounds. It was Abbey it was definitely set in the 1970's and there was no screaming or yelling. It was paced nicely and was not extreme in any way. Am encouraged to listen to the rest.

The latest series, is a vast improvement on what went before - in my opinion, The only series I have not yet heard, is series 4.
I am still hoping there will be a follow-on to the "Power" episode in the future, I did contact BF with my thoughts on it - they have yet to reply!!
Bob

08/11/2017 12:44 pm  #6

I too have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Big Finish Audio Dramas, for exactly the same reason as mentioned above, waaay too much shouting and screaming and don't get me started on the ugh! ow! ooof! huh! fight scenes, sorry but these just do not work in audiodrama IMO. The saving grace was Ian McCulloch who to my mind voiced as if he was in the TV series where most of the other characters seemed to feel they needed to 'over act', this was especially true of the 'new' characters.

Moving on and to partly answer Bob's point, they are now moving beyond the events of series 3 of the TV show and hence beyond 'power' the very, very sad part of this is that we will no longer be treated to the tones of Ian McCulloch..I have to say a gig thanks to Ian for doing these audiodramas, the man is in his late 70s so I'm sure if was a struggle at times.

One thing I have found is that listening to these dramas a 2nd time (and even a 3rd in some cases) I enjoy them more, perhaps as after the first hearing I have visualised the surroundings and the stories are more 'real' - there are some that I really did't like first time round so will not listen to again, "The Flood" is one. I did enjoy series 3 which was mainly set around the GPO tower.

Series 4 was interesting as it covered a new aspect with the government bunker, I always felt there was massive scope for more stories around what would be happening at around that time.

08/11/2017 4:33 pm  #7

Welcome to the forum Malcolm, not heard from you before.
But I do heartily agree with what you say about the over acting & Ian McCulloch doing the opposite.

But Don't be surprised if he does pop up again in any "Post Power" episodes - after all, the Viewers & Jenny, only had the word of Agnes that Greg had died & she was not the most reliable of character's......

12/11/2017 10:44 am  #8

Thanks Bob,

Have been reading (lurking ) for many years on the various forums. I've been on 'Survivors Withdrawal' for a couple of years now, waiting for my wife to plan a visit to one of her friends for the weekend so I can partake in another 38 episode marathon, I did the last one a few years ago and loved it. By the end of it was almost surprised when I opened the curtains to see civilisation outside LOL.

I had the same thought as you and REALLY REALLY hope we 'hear' from Greg again, he's a brilliant character.

Back on topic, I really enjoyed series 6, especially lockup which sees Abby & Greg get back together. One thing that did grate was the 'foreign accents', they sounded almost comedic (not really in a good way though).

17/11/2017 6:09 am  #9

From Bob Meade --"
"But Don't be surprised if he does pop up again in any "Post Power" episodes - after all, the Viewers & Jenny, only had the word of Agnes that Greg had died & she was not the most reliable of character's....."

I agree. Greg is not dead. In my vision, snice he was an civil engineer woring around the globe he may have been vaccinated against many  diseases,  in addition to his "natural immunity" to this superflu.

He may have a mild, non-fatal type of smallpox that is slightly disfiguring. He had a slow recovery but
he is not sure if he's a carrier (like typhoid Mary).
At this time, Greg is more effective as a legend. He can be built up as a hero.

However, he would be ineffective if it was revealed that he was ill and possibly dying.

In time, he can "appear" , saying he was away working on connecting power lines.

If he is in a hazmat/isolation room and suit, he might not be contagious.
Plus, there's probably stored medications in Norway or a pharmaceutical
lab where Ruth can work on a vaccine.
Agnes is immune to smallpox, she can supply the antibodies
Only Agnes & Charles have to know. Or maybe just the core group.

Once it's determined Greg  safe and not contagious , he can be revealed.

Board footera