Terry Nation's survivors 1975 - 2018

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



01/8/2017 2:23 am  #1


Sequel to Power

Bob on your old website (which I can't access) you started writing a sequel to Power which I enjoyed immensely. After listening to series 6 of survivors by Big Finish I though I would go back and re read it. Can I have a link to it please.
Thank you

02/8/2017 9:03 am  #2


Re: Sequel to Power

Teela wrote:

Bob on your old website (which I can't access) you started writing a sequel to Power which I enjoyed immensely. After listening to series 6 of survivors by Big Finish I though I would go back and re read it. Can I have a link to it please.
Thank you

http://bobmeades-ivil.tripod.com/id17.html It was moved to this page when my old site closed - it is a good idea to have "Adblock" in use. scroll to the bottom of the page for the link - yes, it is high time I finished it as well.
Big Finish have "Borrowed" bits of it I think! - but never mind.....
Probably a good idea for you, to save the file, as that one may not be there forever.....
 

Last edited by bobmeades (02/8/2017 9:07 am)

04/8/2017 7:13 am  #3


Re: Sequel to Power

Thanks Bob. Have downloaded.

     Thread Starter

04/8/2017 11:46 am  #4


Re: Sequel to Power

Teela wrote:

Thanks Bob. Have downloaded.

Any outline ideas for a continuance of the story?

05/8/2017 6:27 am  #5


Re: Sequel to Power

Let me reread the story again and see if I can come up with any ideas. I am no writer.

     Thread Starter

05/8/2017 6:28 pm  #6


Re: Sequel to Power

Teela wrote:

Let me reread the story again and see if I can come up with any ideas. I am no writer.

I would not claim to be one either - but I think a look beyond POWER is pretty interesting.
 No doubt if Big finish do tackle it, there will be yet more suffering & deaths for the sake of Dramatic action - I think in reality, it would be more Like "Charles" original vision in Corn Dolly - that everyone may love everyone, because of the scarcity of humans.
 This difference in approach, was part of the problem, between Terry Nation & Terry Dudley's differences.
And a factor in why the original Survivors was such a fascination for so many people. I was taking about this today to a lady, working in a Charity shop in Watton, Norfolk.
 Much of the thought was "How would I react in this situation should I survive".
Of course, Terry Nation drew on a couple of books - the main one being "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart.
That's my opinion, anyway.
 

Last edited by bobmeades (05/8/2017 6:29 pm)

09/1/2018 12:28 pm  #7


Re: Sequel to Power

I've considered Blake's 7 as a sequel to Power, in fact I seem to remember submitting a story based on it. Imagine if Blake's 7 had been written as a down to earth story instead of a science fiction. 

Power was all about deciding whether or not to switch on the hydro electric power stations, as there was fear that the person sitting in the control room could control the country. Blake's 7 is where you have the wrong people sitting in the control room. 
Survivors was all about trying to re-claim the technology, Blake's 7 was about attempting to destroy it as it ended up in the wrong hands.
Greg ended up being a political figure at the end of season 3, also being the only person who the people of northern England could trust, and becoming a great threat to Arthur Wormley in the south. Blake started the first season of Blake's 7 as a political figure, appearing to be the one person in the galaxy that could be trusted, and a great threat to the federation - they tried to discredit him. Blake was falsely accused of molesting kids. Greg had smothered a young girl a few months earlier, and shot an innocent man two years before that - enough for Wormley to discredit Greg if he found out. 
In the books Anne Tranter allied herself to Wormley, eventually overthrowing him to lead the National Unity Force, in Blake's 7 Servalan ended up overthrowing the President and taking his place. 
It would have been interesting if Blake's 7 had been a continuation of Survivors - imagine it ending with Charles believing that Greg had become the new leader of the National Unity Force and shooting him? 
 

09/1/2018 7:32 pm  #8


Re: Sequel to Power

Hi Richard, I don't think even I can make a connection, between Survivors & Blakes 7 - Worlds apart I should think.

I see though, Big finish have set the last episode of series 4 of the audio adventures, post POWER episode at last.
It is very interesting. Without revealing the Plot, both Lucy & Carolyn are in it.

10/1/2018 12:51 pm  #9


Re: Sequel to Power

Power and Long Live the King.
In series 3, Greg Preston contracts smallpox. Then he runs off with the bad guys to infect them and stay away.
In my mind, in 1975 smallpox was eradicated, therefore this may be a mutant version.
However, Greg was a civil engineer who worked in various parts of the work , including th asst oil rig.
Scenario-- he had multiple vaccinations.  Whatever he has, he didn't die from it. Agnes knows this.
However, Greg is concerned about possibly being a carrier (Abby in Gone to the Angels--" you brought the disease..)
Greg, might be a carrier, and/ or is disfigured from the disease. So he rules / governs from the bunker at the military base.  Agnes may share the duties with someone. Charles, as an architects, will try to rebuild. Mark Carter, argriculture.  Dr Ruth and Johns mom,the vetenarian, open a medical training facility. 
I enjoyed your story Bob.  Greg Preston is NOT dead.

11/1/2018 7:55 am  #10


Re: Sequel to Power

Lorraine wrote:

Power and Long Live the King.
In series 3, Greg Preston contracts smallpox. Then he runs off with the bad guys to infect them and stay away.
In my mind, in 1975 smallpox was eradicated, therefore this may be a mutant version.
However, Greg was a civil engineer who worked in various parts of the work , including th asst oil rig.
Scenario-- he had multiple vaccinations. Whatever he has, he didn't die from it. Agnes knows this.
However, Greg is concerned about possibly being a carrier (Abby in Gone to the Angels--" you brought the disease..)
Greg, might be a carrier, and/ or is disfigured from the disease. So he rules / governs from the bunker at the military base. Agnes may share the duties with someone. Charles, as an architects, will try to rebuild. Mark Carter, agriculture. Dr Ruth and Johns mom,the vetenarian, open a medical training facility.
I enjoyed your story Bob. Greg Preston is NOT dead.

I agree Lorraine - Big Finish have used the "Greg, may or may not be dead" a bit like "Peter may or may not be alive, but Abby keeps looking for him"  as another "Plot device" to create a search motive.
It keeps the stories going. My only huge peeve with Big finish, is the high murder/death/violence rate in all their stories - I tend to think the reality in a "Survivors situation" - is much more likely to be along the way Charles described it in Corn Dolly: "With the shortage of people, everybody now loves everybody"
It is a truly amazing episode.

That does of course, not make for such dramatic & violent stories, but I believe it would be a lot closer to the TRUTH of the situation, Survivors would find themselves in.

The most recent Big finish story, post POWER is a good example of how this could happen. Plenty of action, but no bodies for a change.
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

.